Password:     
Register Member List View New Posts View Today's Posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dark Souls Lore
Hakumen Offline
The Just Sword

Dark Souls Lore

Welcome to my general overview of the lore and plot of the Dark Souls series. Unlike most games the story of DS is mostly told through the lore found on items found throughout the game and needs to be put together, because of this some people can go though the game and miss a lot of the rich plot found in DS. This guide will be split into 2 sections for each game, the plot of the game and a section dedicated to a few notable NPCs that you find in your journey. The Topic will be updated in sections Hopefully this will shed some light on the lore and help people understand it better. Smile

DISCLAIMER: This is my take on the lore found in the DS series and is formed from item descriptions, lore videos from.

Epic Name Bro: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...A198EBE9B9

Hawkshaw: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC47GDLU...69O2AqJQ9A

Vatti Vidya: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0DNp0...VaTundyr9w

DaveControlLive: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiIhdy...dBDbZqSIZg

Terra Mantis: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...0sKeJhQIyw

Silver Mont: https://www.youtube.com/channel/SWi5mUzMgBjvc

Mad Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...g238fgPu50

and my own conjecture. For the most part I will not be posting most of the lore found on the items as we would be here all day and this is already going to be a wall of text. However If need be I will go back and certian items if asked for clarifcation. Finally as this my take on the lore expect spoilers.

Dark Souls 1
The Beginning

Dark Souls begins in the Age of Ancients, before the world was mostly formed it was gray and the only features besides the gray crags of land was large arch trees and lakes of water. There was two races of beings, the everlasting Dragons (possessing stone scales of immortality) and soulless vessels called hollows, however nothing was truly alive nor did anything die. Then suddenly the First Flame appeared and created life, death, light, dark, time, change and the imparted souls to the hollows. This gave rise to many new races with the most important being the Gods, who went on to create civilization and shaped the world around them, the giants, who worked as a labor force, and humans, who worshiped and served the Gods. Four of these beings found four special Lord Souls, Gwyn God of Sunlight and leader of the Gods found the Light Soul, the witch Izalith found the Life Soul, Nito the first to die found the Death Soul and Manus the Fugative Pygmy found the Dark Soul. This disparity brought by the First Flame also effected the dragons allowing them to reproduce but some of these offspring were imperfect like Seath the Scaleless and the primordial serpents. However despite this the dragons found a crystal that gave the user immortality. Then Gwyn teamed up with Nito and Izalith and declared war on the dragons. Seath betrayed his kin and revealed the dragon's weakness, lighting could remove their scales and make them mortal, using this knowledge Gwyn and his silver knights threw bolts of lighting at them peeling off their scales, Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease and the witch with her daughters burned their homes, the arch trees, down. Seath was awarded dukedom, a piece of Gwyn's soul and access to the Grand Archives where he would research the scales he did not have, the crystal and later would develop sorcery. A primordial serpent named Frampt also betrayed his kin and became one of Gwyn's friends. Meanwhile Manus split his Lord Soul and gave the pieces to the rest of humanity. Thus began Gwyn's Age of Fire.

Before we move on I would like to mention a few characters that will become important later on. Out of the knights of Gwyn there were a elite group called the Four Knights, Ornstein the Dragonslayer represented by the lion and the believed leader of the four, Hawkeye Gough represented by the hawk and masterful with a greatbow, Artorias the Abysswalker represented by the wolf. the best swordsman in Dark Souls and a holy knight and Lord's Blade Ciaran represented by the hornet and Artorias' girlfriend. Gwyn also had three children, his firstborn who was a God of war, Gwynevere a Goddess of bounty and fertility, and the youngest Gwyndolin who was a God of the moon, Shepard of the humans and deliver of justice, however because of his connection to the moon he was raised as a daughter.

For awhile everything was good and prosperous, two great cities were built in the country now known as Lordran, Anor Londo the captial and city of the Gods and New Londo a city ruled by four human kings. However like all flames the First Flame began to fade and with its fading the Gods began to lose their power and humans came under the curse of the Darksign, turning them into the undead. (beings that can not die and if they don't have a goal or they give up will become hollows, aka mindless zombies) The witch tried to use her soul to create a new flame but it backfired and turned her into the Bed of Chaos the mother of all demons. Gwyn and a detachment of his knights went to war with the demons and in the process his knights' armor was burned black but he was successful. Seath went mad with his experiments and began kidnapping people including the maidens of Gwyn's daughter Gwynevere. A group of people tried to betray and kill the Gods using darkness (for power, because of Seath's actions or for the dragons, the motives aren't clear)but was stopped by the Four Knights. Later another serpent, Kathe, sought to bring a end to the world and set forth a plan to bring out his Age of Dark. First he tempted the Four Kings to turn on their brethren, offering the art of life drain and was successful, transforming the Kings into monsters and their knights into the evil beings known as Darkwraiths, setting forth the coming of a terrible darkness known as the Abyss. Artorias tried to stop this but then Kathe tempted the residents of Ooolacile, a prosperous kingdom with unique magic. Because of Kathe the residents uprooted the grave of Manus, they tortured him and made him crazy, turning him into a monster that unleashed the Abyss in a much faster rate. Oolacile was the bigger problem so Artorias was called back and sent there, while New Londo was flooded in the desperate attempt to contain the Abyss. Gough and Ciaran would later leave Anor Londo to join Artoris.

All of the Gods lost heart and fled from Anor Londo except for one, Gwyndolin. With the help of Frampt, Gwyndolin set forth a plan that would save everyone and restore the God's power, trick a powerful undead into gathering the lord souls and repeat Gywn's sacrifice. First he set up a series of trials that would prove a undead to be worthy. Second he set up a prophecy to give the undead hope so they would not go hollow and finally he corralled the undead into the Undead Asylum to set them off on the journey he made for them. However Kathe gains wind of this plan and is ready to derail it but who wins is up to you.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 06:34 AM by Hakumen.)

Restoring order over chaos.
† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
09-23-2016 06:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KoutaD Offline

RE: Dark Souls Lore

Aren't there a million videos about this?
10-04-2016 12:41 AM
Hakumen Offline
The Just Sword

RE: Dark Souls Lore

(10-04-2016 12:41 AM)KoutaD Wrote:  Aren't there a million videos about this?
Yes but I was asked to give my view on the lore in the Dark Souls thread.

Restoring order over chaos.
† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
10-04-2016 10:19 AM